We now offer a direct connection to Zoom from StreamText.net . It is very easy to use and also provides the output formatting to ensure you the best quality delivery possible.
Note: Update 11/20/2023: Zoom now supports roll up captions we have updated the instructions and now you only need to enter the caption URL.
You can now update the Zoom meeting settings on a live event as well. The settings will come up under the Event Control using the "change settings" button. This is helpful for breakout rooms where you need to get a new Caption URL/API token and update the live event.
To use StreamText with Zoom: (How to get the Caption URL/API token from meeting room)
1. Log into Zoom meeting room. The link will be send to you by the host.
2. Have the meeting Host make you the caption provider.
3. Retrieve the Caption URL. You will want to click on the CC button at the bottom of the zoom page. A popup will show the "Copy The URL to your Clipboard" button. See below this is a screenshot of the popup that will appear after you click on the CC button in the lower menu.
4. Schedule event in StreamText.Net. You will setup the event just like a normal StreamText event except for one added step on the Cart/Captioning tab. In the screenshot below are the Zoom setup options. Note you can also add this to a live event using the event control and clicking on the "change settings" button.
You can also access these controls using the Event Control and selecting update settings.
This is a screenshot of the Zoom settings on the CART/Captioning tab when you schedule an event.
New Zoom settings
- Check the "Stream to Zoom" checkbox.
- Paste in the "Caption URL" that you copied from Zoom
- Correction Buffer. Most caption providers will not need to use this unless they have captioning software that does not buffer their output before it is sent out. If you are noticing broken words at the end of captions then you may want to try it. If you do use this setting usually 1 or 2 seconds is all that is needed.
- Setting Options - Each active setting will affect when the text is sent The first setting condition to be triggered will cause all the text in the buffer to be sent. For example, if the send timer is set to 3 seconds a line of text will be sent after 3 seconds expire or the text length has exceeded three lines. For each setting selected if any condition is met the text will be sent.
- Send on sentence end. If selected when a sentence terminator is reached the text will be sent to Zoom.We recommend turning off the Send on Timer using this option as you can control the output.
Writing Software setup. If you are on Eclipse or CaseCat make sure to turn off your right hand margins for your outputs just like a normal ST event. A return will start a new line in Zoom and in Many cases except for a speaker change you will not want to show that margin setting. Also if you notice suffixes not joining prefixes or duplication you will want to increase your hold strokes in CaseCat and your flush delay in Eclipse. You can also increase the delay in ST which will give more time for those to complete.
Start the event or update the settings with the event control. You will see captions show in Zoom. Note the caption provider has a different view of the captions than the participants. If you click on the CC button you will see more of a transcript view when you are the CC provider. Participants will see normal popup captions in the middle right above the menu at the bottom of the page.
Notice the regular StreamText link does not have any delay so if needed you can use that as a backup or the user can use StreamCast with the same event name.